Congratulations! You’ve graduated dental school and you’re either working in a practice or well on your way. But even though you have your degree in hand, your education is just beginning.
Your professional and personal development is going to be a critical part of your growth well into retirement.
That’s why we’ve developed this professional and personal development guide with the new dentist in mind. And even if you’re a hygienist, office manager or another kind of dental professional, we hope you also find the information here useful for your own journey!
Places to network
There are few better ways to make connections and learn something new than to attend a conference. Here are some of the biggest events in the dental industry.
- American Dental Association SmileCon
- American Association of Dental Office Managers Conference
- National Oral Health Conference·
- Regional Conferences: Take a look to see what’s offered near you! You’ll find conferences hosted in specific regions of the country, such as New York, Chicago, the Pacific Northwest, the Rocky Mountains and the Midwest.
You can also visit the ADA calendar for a listing of events.
Where to earn continuing education credits
Every dental professional needs continuing education to meet license requirements and grow their careers. Here are some places to find courses.
- The ADA, which also breaks down CE requirements by state.
- Colgate Oral Health Network
- The Academy of General Dentistry
- Philips Oral Healthcare Online Learning
How to get inspired
From quick-hitting TED Talks to life-improving podcasts, here are some inspirational launching points to spark your professional and personal journey.
- Watch: Easy ways to practice empathy in your own life presented by Gwen Yi Wong, A pro wrestler’s guide to confidence presented by Mike Kinney, How to find the person who can help you get ahead at work presented by Carla Harris
- Read: Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth, The Art of Showing Up: How to Be There for Yourself and Your People by Rachel Wilkerson Miller, Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, M.D.
- Listen: NPR’s Life Kit collection, Brown Ambition with Mandi Woodruff and Tiffany “The Budgetnista” Aliche, How to Be Awesome at Your Job with Pete Mockaitis
- Explore: New Dentist Now blog from the ADA, LinkedIn Learning classes, DenteMax for Dental Office Teams LinkedIn page
The bottom line: Whether you are looking to network, get inspired or continue your education, your journey as a dentist is just beginning. Use this guide as a starting point and share with anyone who is seeking personal and professional development!