Are you a member of the Packed Lunch Squad? You’re not alone. According to a study conducted by Visa, 32% of Americans never go out to lunch, which saves an average of $2,746 a year.
But while bringing your lunch to the office can save money, one can only eat so many turkey sandwiches and basic salads before the routine starts to get old. That’s where we come in! If you’re looking for some ways to shake up your work lunch routine, we have some ideas to help get you started.
Salads aren’t just for lettuce! From roasted sweet potato to black beans, there are all sorts of ways to meal prep salads that go far beyond your basic head of iceberg.
- This sweet potato and kale salad makes plenty for several lunches. (Hint: You’ll want extra dressing.)
- For a Southwest spin on a traditional cobb salad, add black beans and corn.
- Forget greens: this antipasto salad is grain-forward and makes plenty.
Sandwiches are a classic brown bag lunch choice. They are easy to make, rarely require silverware and have endless potential.
- Try a new twist on a Reuben by using broccoli.
- For a fresh, lighter take on chicken salad, try this chickpea sandwich.
- Elevate your PB&J with fresh strawberries, a drizzle of honey and mint.
Let’s face it: food is just more fun to eat in a bowl. Plus, they are the perfect vessel to find your perfect combination of protein, grain and veggie.
- This barbecue tofu bowl easily transitions from a sheet pan to your packed lunch.
- The maple tahini dressing ties everything in this plant-forward bowl together.
- Have a week of lunches in less than an hour with these chicken burrito bowls.
Snacks are an important part of any long workday. Don’t let your stomach rumble between meals by having some wholesome snacks on hand.
- Roasted nuts are full of protein: roast them at home so you have control over the seasoning.
- Chips aren’t just for potatoes. These apple chips are great for a quick snack.
- Eat this wholesome granola on its own or mix it with your favorite yogurt.
The bottom line: Don’t fall into a lunch slump: try some new healthy recipes that will leave you feeling satisfied and ready for the afternoon.